Air purifiers are the best and most affordable pieces of equipment that can help clean your indoors from harmful pollutants and airborne diseases like pollen, common allergens, pet dander, dirt, dust mites, mold, and other VOCs. One of the issues that many air purifier owners face is that they have opted in for a system that requires the regular change of filters. While the filters aren’t going to break your bank, the costs certainly add up the more you use the unit.
Thankfully, innovators in the air purification industry have realized this problem and have innovated air purifiers with washable filters, meaning once in a while, all you need to do is wash the filter and install it back in. It will be just as effective as if it was new.
What are the advantages of a washable filter?
Unlike most of the air purifiers on the market, the list of 6 air purifiers below have a washable filter. There are a number of benefits for you when it comes to selecting an air purifier with a washable filter as compared to a system with a replaceable filter. Some of the advantages include:
- Cheaper maintenance as you will not have to regularly buy expensive replacement filters for the unit.
- The washable permanent filter is as good as new after it has been washed, meaning that it can offer the same level of service when eliminating household odors and external air pollutants.
- Very easy to remove and reinstall.
Is there a difference in the air purification efficiency between a washable and a replaceable filter?
The quality of the filters is essential as they are responsible for capturing and containing the pollutants in the indoor air that goes through the air purifier. So, to answer the question, yes, to an extent there is a difference in efficiency between a washable and a replaceable filter. Washable filters are not as efficient in the filtration of potentially harmful pollutants present in the air as compared to their replaceable counterparts. As a matter of fact, washable filters filter out approximately 75% of all air pollutants as compared to replaceable filters’ 95%. This is mainly due to the materials that they have been made out of. This, however, should not worry you as washable filters remain a fantastic and a very popular choice on the market.
What should I consider before purchasing an air purifier?
Purifiers are not the cheapest of technologies, and so, finding the best one for your needs will be crucial to your investment. To help you with a better understanding of what it is that you are looking for, below you will find three questions that you should ask yourself which are going to help you with your decision-making process and picking out the right unit for your home.
Is my home located in a heavily polluted area?
If you live in the center of New York City, you most definitely need an efficient air purifier that can purify the extremely polluted air coming from the outside before it ends up in your lungs. Poor quality of air might not impact you right away if you are a relatively healthy adult, however, in the long term, it can have serious effects on your overall health. You should especially consider an air purifier regardless of where you reside if you have any kind of respiratory conditions.
Do I have a newborn or a young child and desire to provide them with a healthy living environment?
If you have a newborn or a young child living in your home, an air purifier might be the best technological addition that you can invest in. This is because newborns and young children have weaker and significantly more underdeveloped immune systems as compared to adults and can be severely affected by long-term exposure to polluted air. Polluted air will not only have an effect on their overall health over time it may be the reason behind the development of symptoms of asthma and other respiratory diseases.
Am I allergic or have respiratory conditions?
Clean and fresh air is critical to your respiratory health and overall well-being. If you have seasonal allergies or a respiratory condition like asthma, a good air purifier can capture any allergens that may affect you before they enter your lungs and begin to trigger any symptoms. With a great quality of air, you will not only feel better during the day but will also have a productive sleep. Read more on how allergies can affect your respiratory system.
6 Best Air Purifiers with Washable Filters
Below, you will find out more about the functional capacity, features, design, advantages, and the disadvantages of each of the 6 air purification units that we have selected on this list so that you can make a more informed decision before clicking the buy button.
First on our list is the 5500-2 model by Winix, and rightfully so, without disapproving of the remaining air purifiers, this unit is a fantastic addition to any home. With its clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 350 and functional ability to remove up to 99.97% of all airborne particles such as pollen, dust, pet dander, and other, it is one of the most effective air purification systems with a washable carbon filter on the market.
With its dimensions of 15” x 8.2” x 23.6” and weight at just 15.4lbs, this unit certainly isn’t the smallest and most portable as compared to some of its competitors on this list. It hosts a slick matte black design which can certainly make the unit be seen as a modern addition to a range of household settings. The overall shape is rather rectangular with the control panel on the top side while the filters are placed along the whole length of the unit down the middle.
On top of the sleek design and modern look, the Winix 5500-2 is also an incredibly capable air purification system. With its 4 settings, you can manually set the speed and cleaning levels to match your requirements. If you are heading to bed, you have the option to choose a lower setting, making the system operate at the lowest and most quiet level. If you are just moving into a new home, you can set the air purifier to the Turbo mode for the fastest and just as effective air purification.
Moreover, the unit features a washable HEPA-type filter that is capable of capturing over 99.97% of airborne pollutants while the washable AOC carbon filter takes care of all household odors. Unlike most units on the market, this air purifier has integrated smart sensors for the auto mode that automatically adjust the fan to filter the air as needed.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Washable AOC carbon filter.
- Suitable for large rooms up to 360 square feet.
- Smart sensors contributing to the energy-efficient operation of the unit.
- The unit can be remote controlled.
- Four different fan speed options.
- The HEPA particle filter cannot be washed and needs to be fully replaced on a regular basis for the proper functioning of the air purifier.
- The unit automatically switches to night mode when it gets dark, even if it is during the day.
Read our full Winix 5500-2 review.
ENVION – Therapure TPP230H
Therapure TPP230H by ENVION is the thinnest tower design air purification unit on this list. With its length of just 7.9” and height of 27.5”, it is suitable for compact air-purifying operations. With three different fan speeds and coverage of up to 350 square feet, this unit is a great addition to homes who are seeking a less bulky air purification system.
ENVION’s Therapure TPP230H hosts a slick tower design, making it an ideal solution for compact and tight spaces. At just 7.9” x 9.6” x 26.1”, this unit is not just the smallest but also one of the most good looking tower design air purification systems on the market. Moreover, the grid design spreading across the entire length of the unit adds an extra character, making it not only an effective air purification solution but also very modern.
Besides the great compact design, this tower air purifier also brings a wide range of functionalities that have earned it a spot on this list. The washable HEPA filter technology effectively reduces up to 99.97% of all mold spores, germs, viruses, common allergens, dust, and any other potentially harmful particles. This technology can purify the air of an average-sized living room up to 3 times an hour. The reusable filter also contributes greatly towards the consistent removal of unpleasant and potentially harmful household and external odors like cigarette smoke, chemical gases from vehicles, and others.
- The tall and slim design allows for the unit to be installed in tighter settings.
- Portable handle, making it easily movable without any risk of damage to the unit.
- Permanent washable filter, making the unit cost-efficient when it comes to maintenance.
- Can easily purify the air in medium to large-sized rooms of up to 350 square feet up to 3 times per hour.
- Perfect against mold, tobacco smoke, germs, viruses, bacteria, and allergens as well as all kinds of unpleasant odors.
- A relatively short cord.
- Only available in the color white.
Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean
The HFD-120-Q is one of the first air purifiers by Honeywell and still remains one of the best air cleaners for its relatively affordable price bracket which is the reason why it is on the list today. With washable pre-filters and portability, it is the ideal solution to polluted indoor air.
- TOWER AIR PURIFIER – The Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Air Purifier helps provide cleaner, fresher air. Recommended for medium rooms (170 sq. ft.), it helps capture up to 99.9% of microscopic airborne particles.*
- HELPS REDUCE ALLERGENS – This quiet air purifier has 3 levels of cleaning power and patented ifD technology to help capture the following microscopic airborne particles: dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mite debris and smoke.*
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – This Honeywell Air Purifier for home filters and circulates air up to 4.8 times an hour in a medium 170 sq. ft. room**. Plus, it features quiet operation, oscillation, and a filter check/reset light.
- WASHABLE FILTERS – Home air purifier includes a permanent washable air filter and a permanent pre-filter for easy maintenance,*** as well as an alternate pre-filter that helps reduce odors and VOCs.**** To clean filters, simply rinse with water and dry.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT – This Honeywell QuietClean Air Purifier earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficient guidelines set by the U.S. EPA.
The design of the HFD-120-Q is definitely not one of the most modern-looking ones. It features an oval tower-like shape with black grills in the middle throughout the whole length of the unit. Right on top, you can find the control panel through which you can control the unit itself. Moreover, there are 3 LED indicators to show the fan speed.
Unlike most washable-filter air purifiers on this list, this unit has one oscillation control. If you are after simplicity and don’t have a lot of custom requirements and are happy with just on/off clean air control, then that is the air purifier for you. This air purification unit features a 2-stage air filtration system using a washable pre-filter that catches out larger particles and an ifD filter which is responsible for trapping smaller particles like pollen, dust mites, dirt, allergens and more.
- Dirty air filter indicator light.
- Easy to operate and clean.
- The unit comes with washable filters and pre-filters.
- Very lightweight and portable.
- It can be a bit loud when operating on higher settings.
- Low CADR rating.
- Hard-to-push buttons.
- Not the best air purifier when it comes to visual appeal.
Blueair Blue Pure 411
Blueair Blue Pure 411 is one of the newest models by Blueair and has gained tremendous popularity on the market due to its washable filter, compact design, portability, and value for money. In other words, it is the ideal solution to a smaller home or room.
At just 17” x 8” x 8”, this is the smallest and most compact washable filter air purifier on this list. The design of the unit features a cylinder-like shape that comes in 6 different colors. The cylinder design also allows for a 360° air intake, making the unit very useful as it can be placed in a range of different home settings for maximum convenience.
Despite the compact design, the Blueair Blue Pure 411 features an airflow of up to 200 m3/h which is a fantastic performance considering the size of the unit. The system also features a one-button operation with three fan speed control options, making it nice and easy to use.
Last but not least, the air purifier dims the lights that are on while operating at the lowest possible fan speed level so that you can enjoy a peaceful sleep.
- Perfect for small rooms.
- Simple and easy to install and use.
- Washable pre-filter.
- Dimmed lights when operating at the lowest level.
- Energy-star certified.
- Customizable pre-filter colors.
- Not suitable for larger properties or hall rooms.
- It cannot filter through elevated levels of chemicals, gases, or odors.
- No remote control.
Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius 5
When it comes to the innovation of air purifiers, Honeywell has been at the forefront of providing reliable, functional, and affordable systems. The Honeywell’s HFD320 AirGenius 5 is another excellent air purification choice that is using washable filters. The unit is equipped with a hi-tech 2-stage filtration system that has the ability to capture up to 99.97% of all air particles that are present inside your home, making this unit one of the most effective not just on this list but on the market for its price range.
The HFD320 AirGenius 5 hosts a rather visually appealing black exterior that can definitely be considered as one of the key selling points of this unit. The rather tall and slim design of the unit at just 9.9” x 9.7 x 26.8” allows for it to be installed almost everywhere within your home for better overall air quality.
This Honeywell airgenius model is equipped with 5 different levels of fan speed to suit the different needs of its users. It is an ideal solution to bad air quality especially if you live in an area with high rates of air pollution. Despite the efficiency of air purification that this unit is capable of, this system is relatively quiet as compared to other systems on the market. Moreover, with the sleep mode, the unit will operate at a low noise level which will greatly contribute towards your productive sleep while the air purifier provides you with clean and fresh air.
Additionally, the air purifier is integrated with a straight-forward smart control panel that is located right on top of the unit for easy access.
Despite having a sleep mode, one of the issues that some owners of the Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius 5 face is that the lights on the unit cannot be dimmed. While that isn’t such a big deal, it can affect someone that is a light sleeper and prefers to rest in complete darkness.
- A great solution for the removal of up to 99.97% of all harmful allergens and airborne diseases.
- The slim tower design allows for it to be placed pretty much anywhere within your home.
- The HFD320 AirGenius 5 model features 5 different fan settings to suit every possible need of the user.
- Effective removal of household and external odors due to the ifD (Intense Field Dielectric) filter and washable activated carbon filter.
- A straightforward smart touch screen. If you are having trouble operating or setting up your air purifier, read our guide on using your new air purifier.
- The filtration system of the HFD320 AirGenius 5 is unable to capture particles and airborne diseases that are smaller than 0.3 microns.
- This particular model is only available in the color black.
The Winix HR900 was made with the goal to help with air purification for households that are looking for a unit with minimal maintenance cost. Furthermore, this model was specially designed for households that owned animals. And so, if you have a pet or are thinking of getting one, with the HR900, you shouldn’t worry about being affected by any potential pet-related allergies.
While this particular model from Winix is only available in the color white, the modern and flat design contributes greatly towards a seamless look that makes the air purifier suit almost every home setting. With its 16.30” x 9.60” x 23.60” and 18.70 lbs, this air purifier is a suitable option for larger homes and room halls.
From a functionality standpoint, the HR900 is undoubtedly in the top 3 for its price range. With the smart sensors and hi-tech system integrated into the unit, the true HEPA filter, and Ultimate Pet Pre-Filter work together to process over 99.97% of all household odors, pet dander, pet hair, allergens, dust mites, pollen, and other such unpleasant particles.
Moreover, this unit has a 5-stage filtration process which maximizes its effectiveness in the battle against indoor air pollution. And so, if you live in an air-polluted city like Los Angeles or are heavily affected by pollen in rural America, this unit is the solution that you have been looking for.
- Ideal air purification solution against pet allergies.
- The true HEPA filter catches out 99.97% of all airborne pollutants that are as small as 0.3 microns.
- The unit comes with washable advanced odor control (AOCTM) carbon filter and pre-filters, making it inexpensive to maintain.
- Integrated with plasmawave technology.
- 300 sq feet air purification range.
- Unable to filter the smallest of air pollutants and airborne diseases.
- Only available in white.
What Do We Recommend For Being The Best Air Purifier With Washable Filter?
Now that we have discussed all of the best options on the market for washable filter air purifiers, one question remains; out of the best air purifiers with washable filters mentioned above, which unit should you go for? While the question is subjective as people have different needs and expectations, one air purifier stands out in particular as compared to the rest. We believe that the Winix 5500-2 is the favorite on this list for the overall functional ability and overall value. Now, if you have specific requirements like raising a newborn with pets, perhaps a different air purifier like the Winix HD900 might be a better option as it is not only suitable for homes with pets but also operates at a minimal noise level, allowing your child to live in a stress-free and healthy environment.
Furthermore, when selecting an air purifier, you should also consider whether the design matches your overall home decor as well as how difficult the filter change is after the wash.
Last but not least, we advise that you invest a little bit more money if necessary so that you can get a unit that fulfills all of your needs and provides you with Amazon-like clean air.